FOR THE BUDDING CHEESE CONNOISSEUR.
- Free shipping for orders over $150
- Automatic Membership to Exclusive Monthly Deals on Cheese & Accouterments.
The perfect introductory model for cheese lovers with more modest cheese purchasing habits. Whether it’s a gift, or for serving before or after a dinner at home, the Grotto Mezzo is the ideal cheese storage solution.
- Smaller footprint than the Cheese Grotto Classico and Cheese Grotto Fresco
- Choice of shelf material (Bamboo or Writable Black Resin Board with soapstone chalk)
- Choice of frame material (finished baltic birch or finished walnut, both stain-resistant)
- 1 handcrafted clay brick for humidity control
- Holds up to 2 pounds of cheese
- Bamboo and birch do not warp
- Genuine leather tab with copper mount
- Plexi-glass paneling for easy viewing
- Sliding door is easy to open and close in the refrigerator
- Breathable back panel
- Made in the USA (New York)
- Handwash only
Use & Care
- For long term storage of cheese, it is recommended to keep the Cheese Grotto at refrigeration temperatures (34ºF to 39º F, preferably 39ºF). For 7 to 10 days, you can store cheese in the Grotto under 70ºF, like the French do.
- Hand wash bamboo shelf with extremely hot water and a splash of distilled white vinegar. Black shelf is dishwasher safe.
- Allow the Grotto shelves to air dry between uses
- For maintenance of the bamboo shelf, a monthly application of mineral oil is recommended
- 9 inches deep, 7 inches wide, 6 inches tall
- 4 pounds
- Materials designed for durability
Birchwood has been traditionally used in cheese preservation for hundreds of years. Its bark has been wrapped as a belt around soft cheeses for even ripening and added woodsy flavor, and has been made into barrels for the aging of Greek Feta. It’s also been used during the smoking of Idiazabal cheese. Most importantly, birch has been used as shelves for aging in caves. Its tight surface is slower to absorb and release moisture, making it excellent for long-term storage. The finished birch featured in this model is sustainably made, and non-toxic. The finish on the birch makes it mold and stain resistant, both in the interior and exterior.
The Grotto Mezzo is a one-shelf size that fits up to 2 pounds of cheese of varying sizes and styles. With a base of 7 inches by 9 inches and a height of 6 inches, the Grotto Mezzo is an ideal storage solution for serving and storing cheeses throughout the week. The back panel is breathable, making for a perfect climate for simple, long-term storage of wedges and wheels of cheese in the refrigerator or short term storage on the kitchen counter.